Facebook Logo Facebook Logo 2 Twitter Logo i_gplus i_copyurl i_plus i_minus i_reddit i_envelope search youtube-play feed2 user-tie arrow-right-thick location icon-wagons icon-diesel icon-hatchback icon-hybrid enlarge shrink camera certificate check

Kelley Blue Book ® - 2002 Volkswagen Passat Overview

Vehicle Overview from Kelley Blue Book

KBB.com 2002 Volkswagen Passat Overview

The Family Sedan That Thinks Its a Luxury Car

If you are in the market for a new sedan, the VW Passat is one car you will want to add to your shopping list. Derived from the Audi A4 chassis, the Passat excels in all categories, from performance to functionality to safety; and all for a price that must have the competition scratching their heads in bewilderment. The Passat's standard equipment list is a lengthy one and includes one-touch up/down power windows with pinch protection, power door locks with selective locking and unlocking, dual side-airbags, side-airbag curtain, AM/FM stereo with cassette and 8 speakers, trip computer, heated power mirrors, 60/40 split-folding-rear seat (the seat is not divided evenly down the middle, but rather split so that 60% of the seat is still useable for passengers while the remaining 40% is folded down for cargo) with lockable seatbacks, remote windows up/down feature, cruise control, alarm system, traction control, tilt/telescopic steering wheel, door-mounted puddle lights, integrated fog lights, trip computer, pollen filter, rear map lights, trunk-mounted 12-volt outlet, air conditioned glove box, full-sized spare tire and a sophisticated 4-link front suspension.

We tested the base GLS with the Tiptronic automatic transmission. A low-pressure turbo accompanies the 1.8-liter 4-cylinder engine to produce a healthy 170 horsepower. The 1.8T (T for turbo) engine is so smooth and so quick you will swear it is a V6. More impressive is the way it sips fuel, returning an amazing 31 miles per gallon our long highway drives. The precise steering and excellent brakes give the Passat the feel of an expensive European touring sedan and the Tiptronic automatic transmission allows you the option of rowing your own gears without the use of a clutch pedal. It should be mentioned that for just a hair over our $25K cutoff, you can get the GLS V6, but we think you'd be better off taking that extra cash and loading-up the 4-cylinder with all the bells and whistles.

One look inside the Passat and you'll begin to understand why its Audi roots play such an important role in the car's success. The interior is gorgeous, with comfortable front and rear seats that cradle and support their occupants at every pressure point. Both the driver and passenger have height-adjustable seats and adjustable lumbar support. The dash design is cleanly sculpted and is covered in materials usually found on far more luxurious cars. At night, glowing sharp-red indicator needles overlay cool blue gauge faces to make for a light show that brings cries of "oh wow" from first-time passengers. With the exception of the steering-wheel-mounted controls, everything is properly backlit for nighttime driving—even the vent open/close controls on the dashboard light up! The excellent audio system and rotary knobs for the heating and ventilation are stacked neatly together within easy reach. Finding a comfortable driving position in the Passat is rarely a problem thanks in part to the tilt/telescoping steering wheel.

There is a solid feeling to this car; the doors close with a confident "thud" and wind and tire noise never gets passed the thick insulation that surrounds the passenger cabin. Add this secure feeling the reassurance of a 4-years/50,000 mile basic warranty and you begin to see why Passat sales continue to grow every year.

Copyright © 2017 by Kelley Blue Book Co., All Rights Reserved.