After recently introducing the all-new 2015 Chevy Silverado HD at the State Fair of Texas, the Bowtie Brand has unveiled a little something for light-duty applications: In fact, it's a pair of 2014 Chevy Silverado 1500 concepts that still provide a heavy-duty dose of capability. The vehicles—which also will be part of the Chevrolet presence at the 2013 SEMA Show, which is slated to open in Las Vegas on November 2—were designed to "explore the extremes of preparedness" according to the brand, and that covers both local fires and a global apocalypse.
To deal with the former, Chevolet worked with the National Volunteer Fire Council to create the 2014 Chevy Silverado Z71 Volunteer Firefighter.
“We wanted to pay tribute to these important men and women in communities everywhere,” said Chris Perry, vice president of Chevrolet marketing. “They are the kind of hard-working Americans for whom we design and build the Silverado, making sure it delivers the capability and dependability they expect.”
That's why engineers based this concept on the 2014 Chevy SIlverado Double Cab model, with four forward-opening full doors, then added the brand's highly capable Z71 off-road suspension for additional performance as well as:
- Billet aluminum bed rails and front brush guard
- LED perimeter lighting to complement its roof-mounted light bar
- A custom graphics package on a striking Red and Silver exterior
- Firefighting resources like a siren, axes, pry bars and fire extinguishers, with the latter chromed
- Front seats trimmed with Torque Red stitching and a special high-visibility reflective material created by 3M
- Numerous goodies from the Chevrolet Accessory department, including 22-inch wheels, four-inch chrome assist steps, and chrome door handles and mirror caps, as well as a molded hood protector, gull-wing toolbox, and cab-over TracRac for additional storage
There's plenty of firepower under the hood, too, since the Volunteer Firefighter concept relies on the same 5.3-liter V8 that provides 355 hp and 383 lb.-ft. of torque in the standard 2014 Chevy Silverado.