Now, how can you maximize your coverage, minimize your expenditures and make sure you have quality insurance? Here are some tips to do all those things.
- Know what you need and what you have. Determine for yourself what you need and want from a policy.
- Shop around. You are the most important consideration in buying insurance. Play agents against one another to find the best price for the policy you want.
- Make certain the company underwriting your insurance is reputable. Ozark Jimmy's insurance may be perfectly solid but consult consumer agencies to make certain.
- Ask about discounts.
- Take the highest deductible you can afford. The higher your deductible, the lower your payments.
- Consider buying a vehicle that insures at a lower rate. A new Volvo and an old Studebaker do not insure at the same rate.
- Weigh the effect of commuting on your insurance rates. Insurance rates are often higher for cars that are used for transportation to work.
- If your car is worth less than $1,000, forgo comprehensive and collision. You'll wind up exceeding the car's worth in insurance premiums.
Photo Credit: Mercedes-Benz