Page 1 of 3
Still looking for the right recipe for success under Geely Automobile, Volvo is adding plenty of new ingredients to the 2014 Volvo XC60. The brand's best-selling crossover has been restyled inside and out, and also introduces both additional safety technology and a little something for performance enthusiasts as well: Advanced Quick Shift.
Standard in the 2014 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD and R-Design models, the revised software mapping will help drivers find new levels of performance and, more specifically, enable 0-60 times of just 6.5 seconds. That's some .4 of a second faster than in the 2013 version, with the difference-maker being quicker shifts for Volvo's also-standard six-speed Geartronic automatic transmission. And speaking of transmissions, the 2014 Volvo XC60 also becomes the first Volvo crossover to offer paddle-shifters, and they complement a new three-spoke steering-wheel design.
Further enhancing the cockpit in the 2014 Volvo XC60 are a myriad of upscale changes, as designers seek to impart a significantly more premium environment for those inside. It's an approach that allows for a fairly wide degree of personalization, too. While even the standard trim levels welcome features like redesigned instrument clusters, fresh wood-decor trim, cloth-covered B-pillars, and new front-door sill plates, owners also can finetune the 2014 Volvo XC60 with:
- Three different interior design themes, emphasizing Performance, Elegance or Eco efficiency
- A new Inscription Package that shows off "Sovereign Hide" leather seating surfaces, a leather-covered dashboard, sophisticated "Modern Wood" inlay accents and an "Anthracite Black" headliner
- An upgraded Sport Package that brings redesigned sport seats and 20-inch Titania-design alloy wheels
- Revised R-Design components, including new 20-inch alloy wheels, body-color lower moldings and a metallic-themed cabin highlighted by aluminum inserts
- More stand-alone options, ranging from dual xenon headlights to heated front seats to additional 20-inch wheel designs
The 2014 Volvo XC60 also benefits from the brand's new, more detailed approach to design, showcasing a bolder yet more sophisticated look that is an ideal complement for its re-designed siblings.
And we haven't even gotten to the new technologies yet!
Page 2 of 3
2014 Volvo XC60: Quick Spec Check
As you might expect, the 2014 Volvo XC60 also supplies much in the way of capabilities, starting with a 3.2-liter 6-cylinder engine. The unit makes 240 hp and 236 lb.-ft. of torque in the front-wheel-drive entry model, which is available with Volvo's All-Wheel Drive with Instant Traction system as well. Volvo also has a turbocharged 3.0-liter engine, again with six cylinders in an inline configuration, and that unit develops 300 hp and 325 lb.-ft. of torque in the T6 and R-Design editions of the 2014 Volvo XC60. A quick peak at the fuel-economy scoreboard shows a high of 18 mpg city/26 mpg highway/21 mpg combined for the front-wheel-drive 2014 Volvo XC60, with the T6 turbo model capable of 18/25/20 and AWD version with the naturally aspirated engine rated at 17/24/20.
Then there's such an incredibly long list of tech goodies available in the 2014 Volvo XC60 that we'll just have room to focus on the new ones, like:
- Volvo's torque-vectoring system—Corner Traction Control
- Cyclist Detection capability that builds on the vehicle's Pedestrian Detection/Full Auto Brake setup
- A new Blind Spot Information System Package that also integrates Cross-Traffic Alert, Lane Change Merge Aid, and front and rear park assist features
- Climate Package upgrades such as a heated windshield and steering wheel
- An auto-dimming rearview mirror and adaptive thin-film-transistor display in the Premier trim, complemented by a rearview camera and quick-fold front-passenger seat for the Premier Plus trim
- More features for the Platinum trim, including auto-dimming and power-retractable outside mirrors, along with sophisticated accent lighting
- Sensus Connect Touch, which brings additional Internet connectivity services, including access to user-friendly apps, to Volvo's Sensus media/connectivity hub
New exterior colors for the 2014 Volvo XC60 also are on the horizon, providing drivers with the opportunity to try Bright Silver Metallic, Rich Java Metallic or Crystal White Metallic. But now let's focus on another color: green. The 2014 Volvo XC60 does require a bit of a premium for these new premium amenities, and it will launch with the following price schedule:
- 2014 Volvo XC60 3.2—$34,850
- 2014 Volvo XC60 3.2 (with AWD)—$36,850
- 2014 Volvo XC60 T6 (with AWD)—$41,550
- 2014 Volvo XC60 R-Design (with AWD)—$45,800
The 2014 Volvo XC60 will be at dealerships just a bit later this year.
More Articles Like This
Page 3 of 3