Making a strong play for relevance in the mid-size premium sedan segment, the 2015 Volvo S80 has reached dealerships with its new T5 Drive-E engine and an MSRP of $41,450. True, the 2015 Volvo S80 remains in a front-wheel-drive configuration, which may not satisfy all drivers in this class, but that next-gen Drive-E engine technology—and an eight-speed automatic transmission—will enable competitive levels of power as well as particularly strong marks in highway fuel economy.
Consider the following list of similarly sized lux rivals to the 2015 Volvo S80 (with all models in their entry-level setups and listed according to MSRP):
- Mercedes-Benz E250 BlueTEC diesel ($51,400)—195 hp, 369 lb.-ft. of torque, 28 mpg city/42 mpg highway/33 mpg combined
- BMW 528i ($49,750)—240 hp, 260 lb.-ft. of torque, 23 mpg city/34 mpg highway/27 mpg combined
- Audi A6 ($44,800)—220 hp, 258 lb.-ft. of torque, 25 mpg city/33 mpg highway/28 mpg combined
- 2015 Volvo S80 ($41,450)—240 hp, 258 lb.-ft. of torque, 25 mpg city/37 mpg highway/29 mpg combined
- Infiniti Q50 ($37,150)—328 hp, 269 lb.-ft. of torque, 20 mpg city/29 mpg highway/23 mpg combined
- Lexus ES ($36,620)—268 hp, 248 lb.-ft. of torque, 21 mpg city/31 mpg highway/24 mpg combined
Additionally, the 2015 Volvo S80 distinguishes itself with standard "City Safety" forward collision-mitigation technology, capable of automatically braking the car in certain frontal-impact scenarios, and offers the full gamut of advanced occupant-protection measures from the most famous name in vehicular safety.
Other changes for the 2015 Volvo S80 include a six-month complimentary subscription to the Volvo Sensus Connect service, including navigation and mobile wi-fi capability, as well as: subtle adjustments to the car's chrome trunk-lid molding, the addition of Bright Silver Metallic as a new exterior finish, and a change in tire size for the available 18-inch "Magni" alloy wheels, from 235/40R-18 to 245/40R-18.
Note: The 2015 Volvo S80 will be available with all-wheel drive, too, although that model continues on with the previous-generation 3.0-liter V6 beneath its hood; the tale of the tape here reads 300 hp, 325 lb.-ft. of torque, and 19 mpg city/28 mpg highway/22 mpg combined.