General Motors is continuing to lead a safety renaissance in the full-size pickup segment with the 2014 Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra: The pair recently became the first entries from that class to earn 5-Star Overall Vehicle Scores from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) since the agency tightened up standards in 2011. More specifically, the duo was awarded 5 stars for both occupant protection in front- and side-crash scenarios, and received 4 stars in rollover testing.
And to be clear, although no rivals to the 2014 Chevy Silverado or GMC Sierra have been recognized as 5-star performers, all light-duty cab configurations of the GM pair have garnered the honor.
A key factor in the achievement, according to Gay Kent, GM general director of vehicle safety and Crashworthiness: “Our incredibly capable trucks have been engineered to be some of the safest. We’ve designed the vehicle structure, strategically placed high-strength steel and developed the occupant restraint system to achieve high levels of safety performance.”
But as Kent also points out, “This level of vehicle performance is complemented by a full array of other advanced safety features to help protect our customers, no matter which new Silverado or Sierra they choose.”
- The Safety Alert Seat, which warns drivers of possible road hazards through directional vibrations
- Forward collision alert, developed to warn drivers if they’re approaching other vehicles too quickly
- Lane departure warning, to alert drivers if their vehicles start to drift out of their proper lanes
- A rear-vision camera system, with dynamic guidelines, that displays images on an 8-inch screen
- Available trailer-sway control, capable of automatically adjusting braking or engine power to mitigate trailer swaying
You may also be interested in...
Super Bowl MVP Smith Scores 2014 Chevy Silverado High Country
Road Test And Review - 2014 Chevrolet Silverado LT
2014 Chevy Silverado Pickup Truck Test Drive Video Review
GM Leads with Three NA Vehicle of the Year Finalists
Lightweight 2014 Chevy Silverado Performance Truck to Debut at SEMA
2014 Chevy Silverado Concepts for First Responders, Last Days