2014 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Gets AMG Treatment
M-B S63 AMG 4Matic to Launch in November
Both more powerful and lighter in weight that its predecessor—despite the addition of an advanced all-wheel-drive system—the high-performance member of the 2014 Mercedes-Benz S-Class roster was recently revealed in the form of the S63 AMG 4MATIC. It’s expected in dealerships late this fall, at a price that is currently TBD.
Now, it’s true that “The design, equipment and appointments of the 2014 S63 AMG 4MATIC meet the highest standards in terms of high-class appeal, quality and perfection,” according to the brand, but the car also welcomes a comprehensive round of performance enhancements from M-B’s AMG performance division. The tale of the tape here includes a 0-60 time of 3.9 seconds and an electronically limited top speed of 188 mph, backed by:
- A hand-built 5.5-liter AMG V8 engine with twin turbocharging, direct injection, and high-efficiency cooling technologies, capable of making 557 hp and 664 lb.-ft. of torque
- AMG’s 4Matic all-wheel-drive system, with a default rearward bias for traditional performance characteristics, but able to redistribute torque based on driving conditions
- Multiple transmission settings, courtesy of a three-mode, seven-speed AMG Speedshift transmission
- An M-B Airmatic air suspension upgraded by an AMG-tuned active damping system
- Available high-performance ceramic brakes, marking a first for the AMG-ified 2014 Mercedes-Benz S-Class
Significantly, engineers also were able to reduce the curb weight of the S63 AMG 4Matic by about 220 lbs. as compared to the car it replaces. A big chunk of that weight savings can be credited to the lightweight alloy wheels of the new car, but the AMG variant of the 2014 Mercedes-Benz S-Class also showcases a lithium-ion battery beneath the hood. The car is no hybrid, though; instead, it relies on that battery instead of a regular unit for starting the car, among other traditional tasks.
The party line from Tobias Moers, Head of Overall Vehicle Development and Board Member of Mercedes-AMG GmbH: "We have unquestionably achieved our aim of making the new S63 AMG 4MATIC more powerful, lightweight and efficient than its predecessor. In terms of driving dynamics as well, the S63 AMG 4MATIC has made giant leaps forward—not least thanks to the performance-oriented AMG 4MATIC all-wheel drive."