If you’re ready to book a berth on the luxury yacht of automotive flagships, take note: The 2014 Mercedes-Benz S-Class has reached dealerships and is available now with an MSRP that starts at $92,900. But while the new S550 sedan was clearly designed to satisfy those with an appetite for conspicuous consumption, it actually represents a bit of bargain. That’s because M-B has lowered the price of admission to the 2014 Mercedes-Benz S-Class by $2,100 as compared to the 2013 model.
Of course, you still gain access to insane creature comforts like:
- Adjustable ambient cabin lighting that leverages almost 300 individual LEDs
- Ultra-premium seating with powered foot and leg rests for rear passengers, as well as spa-style “hot stone” massaging functionality
- A double-filtered and ionized interior air filter that can be used to provide aromatherapy
- Dual 12.3-inch high-res touchscreens, combined with M-B’s highly intuitive COMAND and “mbrace2” connectivity and infotainment technologies
- Two audiophile-level sound systems from Burmester, both of which feature the Frontbass system with woofers mounted in the car’s firewall
- A comprehensive suite of driver-assistance measures, including radar-based adaptive cruise control with steering assist, autonomous braking, a rear-facing radar-based rear collision-mitigation system, rear cross-traffic alert/assist, blind-spot protection and a lane-keeping system
Providing the motivation for the 2014 Mercedes-Benz S-Class is a 4.6-liter biturbo V8 engine that sends 449 hp and 516 lb.-ft. of torque through a seven-speed automatic transmission, while also sending the 4,700-lb. super sedan from 0-60 in a mere 4.8 seconds.
The party line from Bernie Glaser, vice president of marketing for Mercedes-Benz USA: "The new S-Class represents the best of the Mercedes-Benz brand. The strides we make in the areas of design, safety, engineering and technology—which are pioneered on the new S-Class—will make their way through all our models and eventually into the mainstream. This is what has happened throughout our 127 years, and as a result, there's hardly a car on the road today that doesn't owe some of its technology to that constant commitment to innovate and to lead."
The 2014 Mercedes-Benz S550 4Matic, with M-B’s all-wheel-drive technology, is slated to join the rear-wheel-drive S550 at dealerships in November, with a price of $95,900; the ultra-high-performance 2014 S63 AMG 4Matic also has a November due date, along with a projected MSRP of $139,500.
You may also be interested in...
2014 Mercedes-Benz S550 Test Drive and Video Review
2014 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sets New Satisfaction Benchmark
2014 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Wins World Luxury Car Honor
2014 Mercedes-Benz S550 4MATIC Luxury Sedan Review
Best Full-Size Sedans for 2014
2014 Mercedes S-Class Helps Set New Q1 Sales Mark for the Brand