2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Says Goodbye to Winter with One More Award
NEMPA Names Three-row Entry 'Best Affordable Crossover'
Here's an update from the better-late-than-never department: Although it's now officially spring, the New England Motor Press Association (NEMPA) waited until just days ago to present the 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe with its second straight Winter Vehicle Award as "Best Affordable Crossover under $28,000." And while the Santa Fe did share this year's honor with its corporate cousin, the Kia Sorento, that didn't dampen the enthusiasm of Trevor Lai, product manager for Hyundai Motor America: “This award from NEMPA recognizes the careful detail our engineers put into building the Santa Fe. With features like the Active Cornering Control All-Wheel-Drive (AWD) system and Vehicle Stability Management (VSM) system, Santa Fe drivers can operate their vehicles in confidence in a wide range of weather and road conditions.”
Added Craig Fitzgerald, president of NEMPA: “Every year during Official Winter Vehicle of New England judging, NEMPA members are looking for vehicles that perform well in a number of different segments. Competitors in this particular segment have it tough. Not only do they have to offer outstanding winter performance, but they have to provide all the qualities New England drivers are looking for in a crossover – cargo capacity, room for six-plus – and then do it at a price under $28,000. That’s a tall order that Hyundai managed to pull off with the Santa Fe.”
Unfortunately, pricing for the 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe seems to have gained some altitude in the meantime, and its MSRP currently opens at $29,900. On the other hand, that does include standard features like:
- A 3.3-liter V6 engine that makes 290 hp and 252 lb.-ft. of torque
- Air conditioning with second-row vents and third-row controls and vents
- Heated front seats with an eight-way power-adjustable driver's seat, and all seating surfaces covered in stain-resistant fabric
- Hyundai's Driver Selectable Steering Mode
- Bluetooth technology and Blue Link telematics
- Six-speaker audio with AM/FM/HD/SiriusXM/CD/MP3/USB/AUX playback and a 4.3-inch display screen that doubles as a rearview camera
Also, if you do want to stay under that $28K price limit, there’s the 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport, which provides most of the benefits of the Santa Fe, but in a two-row package that starts at $24,950.