Glamping: a more luxurious way of camping (and no, we can't believe that term even exists either). We recently experienced what it's like to camp luxuriously when GMC invited us to check out the new 2014 Sierra and tow a 23-foot Airstream trailer from Los Angeles to Santa Barbara.
The biggest complaint that has been lodged against the GMC Sierra was that it looked the same inside and out as the Chevrolet Silverado. With the 2014 Sierra, GMC addressed that by giving the Sierra its own identity. The front has a large and bold box grille and a fair number of flares along the hood. The side profile shows off more flaring along the fenders and an integrated step in the rear bumper. Inside, you find a similar interior layout to the Chevrolet Silverado. The difference is a little bit more standard equipment and more premium materials used throughout.
Under the Sierra's hood, you'll have a choice of three different engines:
- EcoTec3 4.3L V6: 285 Horsepower, 305 Pound-Feet of Torque (Gas); 297 Horsepower, 330 Pound-Feet of Torque (E85)
- EcoTec3 5.3L V8: 355 Horsepower, 383 Pound-Feet of Torque (Gas); 380 Horsepower, 416 Pound-Feet of Torque (E85)
- EcoTec3 6.2L V8: TBD
All engines are paired with a six-speed automatic transmission and can be equipped with two-wheel or four-wheel drive. The EPA has only rated the 4.3L V6 and 5.3L V8 at this time. Their ratings are:
- EcoTec3 4.3L V6: 18 City/24 Highway/20 Combined (2WD), 17 City/22 Highway/19 Combined (4WD)
- EcoTec3 4.3L V6 (E85): 12 City/16 Highway/14 Combined (2WD), 12 City/15 Highway/13 Combined (4WD)
- EcoTec3 5.3L V8: 16 City/23 Highway/19 Combined (2WD), 16 City/22 Highway/18 Combined (4WD)
- EcoTec3 5.3L V8 (E85): 12 City/17 Highway/14 Combined (2WD), 12 City/16 Highway/13 Combined (4WD)
As for towing ratings, the 2014 Sierra stands at 7,200 pounds with the 4.3L V6 and 10,200 pounds for the 5.3L V8.
You may also be interested in...
2014 GMC Sierra 1500, Acadia Lead Pro Grade Brand to Top Industry Honor
Expanded Military Discount Cuts Cost of 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 by $8,800
2014 GMC Sierra Denali Earns Cabin Kudos from Ward's
NHTSA: 2014 Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra Are First 5-Star Full-size Pickups
Big-truck Breakthrough for 2014 Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra
2014 GMC Sierra Drafted to Star in Madden NFL 25