Glamping: a more luxurious way of camping (and no, we can't believe that term even exists either). We recently experienced what it's like to camp luxuriously when GMC invited us to check out the new 2014 Sierra and tow a 23-foot Airstream trailer from Los Angeles to Santa Barbara.
The biggest complaint that has been lodged against the GMC Sierra was that it looked the same inside and out as the Chevrolet Silverado. With the 2014 Sierra, GMC addressed that by giving the Sierra its own identity. The front has a large and bold box grille and a fair number of flares along the hood. The side profile shows off more flaring along the fenders and an integrated step in the rear bumper. Inside, you find a similar interior layout to the Chevrolet Silverado. The difference is a little bit more standard equipment and more premium materials used throughout.
Under the Sierra's hood, you'll have a choice of three different engines:
- EcoTec3 4.3L V6: 285 Horsepower, 305 Pound-Feet of Torque (Gas); 297 Horsepower, 330 Pound-Feet of Torque (E85)
- EcoTec3 5.3L V8: 355 Horsepower, 383 Pound-Feet of Torque (Gas); 380 Horsepower, 416 Pound-Feet of Torque (E85)
- EcoTec3 6.2L V8: TBD
All engines are paired with a six-speed automatic transmission and can be equipped with two-wheel or four-wheel drive. The EPA has only rated the 4.3L V6 and 5.3L V8 at this time. Their ratings are:
- EcoTec3 4.3L V6: 18 City/24 Highway/20 Combined (2WD), 17 City/22 Highway/19 Combined (4WD)
- EcoTec3 4.3L V6 (E85): 12 City/16 Highway/14 Combined (2WD), 12 City/15 Highway/13 Combined (4WD)
- EcoTec3 5.3L V8: 16 City/23 Highway/19 Combined (2WD), 16 City/22 Highway/18 Combined (4WD)
- EcoTec3 5.3L V8 (E85): 12 City/17 Highway/14 Combined (2WD), 12 City/16 Highway/13 Combined (4WD)
As for towing ratings, the 2014 Sierra stands at 7,200 pounds with the 4.3L V6 and 10,200 pounds for the 5.3L V8.
You may also be interested in...
2014 GMC Sierra Delivers Professional Grade Fuel-efficiency
2014 GMC Sierra Sets New Benchmark for V6 Torque
2014 GMC Sierra Denali Tops Light-duty Leaderboard for Power
2014 GMC Sierra Pickup Truck First Drive
10 Things You Need To Know About The 2014 GMC Sierra
2014 GMC Sierra Drafted to Star in Madden NFL 25