To say the redesign of the 2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 has been a long time coming would be a huge understatement. The previous design, on sale since 2007, quickly became outdated thanks to the Ford F-150 and Ram 1500 with their new engines and clever technologies. This year, however, the 2014 Silverado promises to give those trucks a run for their money.
We'll start with the exterior. The design is an obvious departure from the current Silverado. The front end is much more butch thanks to a larger and more imposing grille with big headlights on either side. The side profile shows the squarish shape Chevy designers went with and perfectly highlights the wide variety of available wheel choices. The rear bumper houses a clever trick - on either end, there is an integrated step that makes it easier to get into the bed.
On the inside, the 2014 Silverado has been gone over with a fine tooth comb. A new interior layout and better materials help bring the truck into the modern era. There is also more tech with a four-inch color screen in the gauge cluster and an eight-inch touch screen featuring Chevrolet's next-generation MyLink infotainment system.
Under the hood, you find a choice of three different engines:
- EcoTec3 4.3L V6: 285 Horsepower, 305 Pound-Feet of Torque (Gas); 297 Horsepower, 330 Pound-Feet of Torque (E85)
- EcoTec3 5.3L V8: 355 Horsepower, 383 Pound-Feet of Torque (Gas); 380 Horsepower, 416 Pound-Feet of Torque (E85)
- EcoTec3 6.2L V8: TBD
All engines are paired with a six-speed automatic transmission and can be equipped with two-wheel or four-wheel drive. The EPA has only rated the 4.3L V6 and 5.3L V8 at this time. Their ratings are:
- EcoTec3 4.3L V6: 18 City/24 Highway/20 Combined (2WD), 17 City/22 Highway/19 Combined (4WD)
- EcoTec3 4.3L V6 (E85): 12 City/16 Highway/14 Combined (2WD), 12 City/15 Highway/13 Combined (4WD)
- EcoTec3 5.3L V8: 16 City/23 Highway/19 Combined (2WD), 16 City/22 Highway/18 Combined (4WD)
- EcoTec3 5.3L V8 (E85): 12 City/17 Highway/14 Combined (2WD), 12 City/16 Highway/13 Combined (4WD)
A 2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 starts at $28,610 for the Double Cab, Standard Box 2WD model equipped with the 4.3L V6 and climbs upwards to $44,945 for the Crew Cab, Standard Box LTZ ZR1 4WD model equipped with the 5.3L V8.
You may also be interested in...
2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Sales Sizzle in September
Super Bowl MVP Smith Scores 2014 Chevy Silverado High Country
Road Test And Review - 2014 Chevrolet Silverado LT
NHTSA: 2014 Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra Are First 5-Star Full-size Pickups
2014 Chevy Silverado Pickup Truck Test Drive Video Review
GM Leads with Three NA Vehicle of the Year Finalists