Page 1 of 3
After recently introducing the all-new 2015 Chevy Silverado HD at the State Fair of Texas, the Bowtie Brand has unveiled a little something for light-duty applications: In fact, it's a pair of 2014 Chevy Silverado 1500 concepts that still provide a heavy-duty dose of capability. The vehicles—which also will be part of the Chevrolet presence at the 2013 SEMA Show, which is slated to open in Las Vegas on November 2—were designed to "explore the extremes of preparedness" according to the brand, and that covers both local fires and a global apocalypse.
To deal with the former, Chevolet worked with the National Volunteer Fire Council to create the 2014 Chevy Silverado Z71 Volunteer Firefighter.
“We wanted to pay tribute to these important men and women in communities everywhere,” said Chris Perry, vice president of Chevrolet marketing. “They are the kind of hard-working Americans for whom we design and build the Silverado, making sure it delivers the capability and dependability they expect.”
That's why engineers based this concept on the 2014 Chevy SIlverado Double Cab model, with four forward-opening full doors, then added the brand's highly capable Z71 off-road suspension for additional performance as well as:
- Billet aluminum bed rails and front brush guard
- LED perimeter lighting to complement its roof-mounted light bar
- A custom graphics package on a striking Red and Silver exterior
- Firefighting resources like a siren, axes, pry bars and fire extinguishers, with the latter chromed
- Front seats trimmed with Torque Red stitching and a special high-visibility reflective material created by 3M
- Numerous goodies from the Chevrolet Accessory department, including 22-inch wheels, four-inch chrome assist steps, and chrome door handles and mirror caps, as well as a molded hood protector, gull-wing toolbox, and cab-over TracRac for additional storage
There's plenty of firepower under the hood, too, since the Volunteer Firefighter concept relies on the same 5.3-liter V8 that provides 355 hp and 383 lb.-ft. of torque in the standard 2014 Chevy Silverado.
Page 2 of 3
2014 Chevy Silverado Concepts: Last Truck Standing
Also making its first public appearance at the State Fair of Texas was the 2014 Chevy Silverado Black Ops concept. Emphasizing its ready-for-anything design, the Black Ops concept began life as a 2014 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab with the brand's rugged 4x4 system, then was kitted out with a custom set of lower-body armor and a bed-mounted TruckVault. This lockable storage system was then loaded up with a solar power pack, a pair of gas masks, a military-style first-aid kit, a folding shovel, gloves, and rope to provide a range of resources for disaster readiness.
Even better, the TruckVault itself supports a mobile generator, with its own fuel can, and there's also fuel for survivors with a full water can and fully stocked food crate.
Also part of the package with the 2014 Chevy Silverado Black Ops concept:
- A front-mounted winch with integrated LED spotlight and tow hooks
- Extra ground clearance, thanks to a raised suspension
- Custom bed rails
- GM’s 5.3-liter EcoTec3 V8 engine with 355 hp and 383 lb.-ft. of torque
- A full light bridge with forward- and rear-facing light bars
- Bolt-on fender flares and four-inch tubular assist steps from Chevrolet Accessories
- Custom seats, featuring black upholstery and yellow piping, set off by yellow trim accents
- Chevrolet MyLink technology with an 8-inch color touchscreen and navigation
“Luck favors the prepared and the Silverado Black Ops concept is a survival kit on four wheels,” said Dave Ross, design manager, Chevrolet. “This concept truck showcases the stronger, smarter and more capable elements of the 2014 Silverado and how accessories can enhance them to suit any lifestyle.”
More Articles Like This
Super Bowl MVP Smith Scores 2014 Chevy Silverado High Country
Road Test And Review - 2014 Chevrolet Silverado LT
NHTSA: 2014 Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra Are First 5-Star Full-size Pickups
GM Leads with Three NA Vehicle of the Year Finalists
Lightweight 2014 Chevy Silverado Performance Truck to Debut at SEMA
2014 Chevy Silverado Concepts for First Responders, Last Days
Page 3 of 3