The 2015 Cadillac ATS—Coupe and Sedan—will help introduce wireless charging to the Wreathless Crest brand for the new model year, with the technology also slated to launch for the 2015 Cadillac CTS this fall and for the all-new 2015 Cadillac Escalade "at the end of 2014," according to the company.
As will likely be the case for the latter pair, too, the system in the 2015 Cadillac ATS relies on Powermat technology that is built right into car. More specifically, a rubberized mat will be incorporated into the hidden center-stack storage bin in the ATS, then leverage an electromagnetic field to provide charging for the drivers' digital devices. The process will be simple and seamless for owners, while further meeting a growing new demand. Explained Ryan Sanderson, associate director for Power Supply & Storage Components at IHS Technology: “A recent survey from IHS revealed that 70 percent of consumers charge their mobile phone at least once per day,with 30 percent charging more than once.
“This is driving demand for charging access in multiple locations throughout the day, something wireless charging can address in a more convenient way than the consumer having to carry one or more wired chargers around with them on a daily basis.”
The next selling season also will see a number of other upgrades to the 2015 Cadillac ATS roster, starting with the launch of the new coupe model mentioned above. Additionally, engineers have retuned the 2.0-liter, turbocharged four-cylinder engine that's available in both, dialing up an extra 35 lb.-ft. of torque. The result is now 295 lb.-ft. of twist, complementing an unchanged 272 hp. (Note: The 2015 Cadillac ATS coupe and sedan also share a 3.6-liter, naturally aspirated V-6, capable of 321 hp/275 lb.-ft. of torque, and the entry sedan comes standard with a 2.5-liter four-cylinder unit, also naturally aspirated, with outputs of 202 hp and 191 lb.-ft. of torque.)
Other changes for the 2015 Cadillac ATS family include:
- OnStar's 4G LTE connectivity, backed by a three-month/three-gigabyte complimentary data package
- Text-messaging assistance for Cadillac CUE
- "Teen Driver" functionality to reduce distractions for younger drivers
- Three more safety measures—lane-keeping assistance, lane-change alert and automatic safety-belt tightening
- Crystal White Tricoat and Dark Adriatic Blue Metallic exterior finishes
- More cabin-trim options, including both semi-aniline leather and sueded microfiber accents
- Standard "EZ Key" passive-entry technology for all models