Page 1 of 3
The Toyota Motor Company was the fastest-growing mainstream automaker in America last month, and the results weren’t even close. The company delivered 202,973 vehicles in May, raising its overall sales by 87.3 percent as compared to the same month last year; the next best mark was posted by the Chrysler Group, which “only” increased sales by 33 percent.
What’s perhaps more important, Toyota also set the pace in terms of retail sales—again.
"We're grateful to our customers who have made Toyota the number one retail brand in America for the third consecutive month," said Bob Carter, Toyota Division group vice president and general manager, Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A. "Our growth has been driven by the success of our new products, led by Camry and Prius family, part of the most aggressive product launch in our history. With the much anticipated Scion FR-S on sale today and the continued recovery of the overall automotive market, we're confident our sales momentum will continue."
Page 2 of 3
May Auto Sales: Toyota’s Triple-digit Gainers
Needless to say, the company’s May performance reflected strong numbers from nearly the entire lineup, and that included an amazing 10 vehicles that drove up sales by more than 100 percent:
- Toyota Yaris—The Toyota brand’s subcompact delivered 3,521 units for a 108.3 percent increase.
- Toyota Prius—Combined sales of all Prii—including the Toyota Prius c and Toyota Prius v—came in at 21,477 units, a jump of 210.2 percent.
- Toyota Camry—America’s best-selling car racked up 39,571 sales in May, an improvement of 110.1 percent.
- Toyota RAV4—The beneficiary of a 123.2 percent leap in sales last month, the RAV4 delivered 19,248 units.
- Toyota Highlander—Dealers sold 11,657 Highlanders in May despite many customers looking to downsize, and that translated into a 102.6 percent boost.
- Toyota Land Cruiser—The refreshed rock-crawler saw a 142.4 percent sales improvement on the strength of 240 deliveries.
- Toyota Tundra—The fastest-growing full-size pickup in America last month hauled in 8,765 sales and a 103.5 percent sales jump.
- Lexus CT—The brand's premium hybrid hatchback achieved sales growth of 241.2 percent last month, backed by 1,549 deliveries.
- Lexus GS—May featured an eye-popping 552.3 percent sales improvement for Lexus’ all-new sport sedan, which finished with 1,996 deliveries.
- Lexus LX—This recently redesigned body-on-frame beast delivered a 172.5 percent growth rate, thanks to 387 sales.
More Articles Like This
Page 3 of 3