First Drive Impressions: The All-New 2013 Acura RDX is a Safe Blend of Sporting SUV Luxury
Judging from the exterior styling of the all-new 2013 Acura RDX compact luxury suv, it would be easy to write this vehicle as yet another leather lined, overpriced, personal isolation chamber weighed down by enough sound deadening to send “The Unsinkable Molly Brown” plummeting under the waves of the North Atlantic much like the H.M.S. Titanic did when it bumped into some ice. A real party boat would have hit that iceberg just so all of the passengers could have a kick-ass Margarita party. Too bad this all didn’t happen off the coast of Cabo San Lucas Mexico during Spring Break as we think James Cameron’s film take would have been much, much different.
What’s New for 2013? Pricing, Choice, Features and Value!
Exterior and Interior Design Impressions
Driving Impressions and Expected Safety
What we Love About the 2013 Acura RDX
- The interior Feels Much Roomier than Last Generation, Design and Build Quality Feel also is a Step Up from last RDX, Junk Hauling Ability Much Improved by Easier to Access and Larger Cargo Hold
- More Efficient, More Powerful and Sporty Sounding Standard 3.5 Liter 273 horsepower/251 lb. feet of torque V6 engine is more Powerful than the Competition and comes Mated to an Ultra-Smooth 6-speed Automatic Gearbox that was Lifted from the TL and MDX.
- Interior Noise, Vibration and Harshness Levels Vastly Improved Yet Acura Lets the Sporty and Fun Noises Into the Cabin so You Won’t Think You Have Been Buried Alive in a Leather-lined Sarcophagus.
What We Loathe About the 2013 Acura RDX
- Acura played it safe with this model’s all new exterior redesign but that’s the norm in this class.
- No Inclusion of High Tech SH-AWD System for superior dry/wet weather handling but rather 2013 Acura RDX uses low friction, high efficiency, low cost all-wheel drive mechanicals taken from 2012 CR-V to keep costs down.
- Someone needs to figure out a way so customers can upload all songs from MP3 players onto multi-gigabyte in-dash song store units. Loading all of your CDs in and out is so…1993. You could picture Alicia Silverstone from the era-specific film “Clueless” spending hours on this project. And we really don’t want our new suv making us feel as dumb as Alicia Silverstone circa 1993.